HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

 

Certified  31st July 1878 by the London School Board, the second set up by this Board, for 350 boys of who 70 might be Roman Catholics.  In the year 1881 the certificate was amended as to admit the reception of 500 boys of whom 100 might be Roman Catholics, but in November 1898 a letter received from the Home Office suggesting that the maximum number should not exceed 425 up to June 1899 and 400 after that date.  Cessation of Certificate or closure 15th April 1905.

Auxiliary Home 43 Londoun Square, Cardiff

It had been the NUBIA, an ex Peninsular and Oriental Company ship, made of iron.  It was 300ft long, with a 40 ft beam. 

There was also  2 tenders the  "SWIFT" and "THERMIS"  and an AUXILIARY HOME, BUTE STREET, CARDIFF.  Certified 2nd June 1899.  Cessation of certificate or closed 5th January or 30th April, 1901.

STAFF

1884 - Captain-superintendent, Captain W. Scriven, R.N.; chief officer, Mr R.D. Murphy; chief schoolmaster, Mr Hyatt; assistant schoolmasters Messrs. Mackenzie, Connell, Jones, and Tomlins.

1891 - Captain-superintendent, Captain W. Scriven, R.N.; chief officer, Mr D. Murphy; chief schoolmaster, Mr L. Hyatt; assistant schoolmasters Messrs. Jones, Kelly, Taylor, and E Jones.

1893 - Captain-superintendent, Captain W. Scriven, R.N.; chief officer, Mr D. Murphy; chief teacher, Mr D.W. Hyatt; second  schoolmasters Mr R.K. Mackenzie; assistant school teachers Messrs. Bible, Jones and Kelly.

1900 - Captain-superintendent, Captain W. Scriven, R.N.; chief officer, Mr D. Murphy; schoolmaster, Mr J. Lodge; assistant schoolmasters Messrs. J Jones, W. Taylor and E. Jones; Mr J.W. Curtis, assistant schoolmaster left 25th January 1900 and was succeeded by Mr W.H. Brookes on 1st March 1900.  Schoolroom staff Mr W. Blea was appointed on 30th April 1900; paymaster and storekeeper Mr Hugill; Mr H Amphlett was clerk and storekeeper.  Since July 1899 Mr C Downes was the special gymnastic instructor.

1903 - Captain-superintendent, Captain W. Scriven, R.N.; chief officer, Mr R.D. Murphy; schoolmaster, Mr W.T. Litton; assistant teachers  Messrs. J Jones, W. Taylor, E. Jones, W.H. Brookes and W. Blea.  Matron of shore infirmary Miss E. Rowland.  On the tender "Thermis" Mr R.M. Beale.