HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

        From 1902 the school is listed as follows

Certified 7th July 1874 for 100 boys.  Situated in Rose Valley, near the railway station.  The boys were also taught regimental band music.

This was the first school of this type run by the London School Board.  Later renamed Davenport-Hill Boys Home.  Cessation of certification or closure  4th May 1902 but the certification was extended until Portslade School was ready.

Poor sanitation caused temporary stay at Sanatorium, Wilderness Hill, Margate, temporarily certified 4th November 1899 until the school moved into the new premises at  Portslade, Hove, Brighton in 1902.

STAFF

1882 - Superintendent, Henry Saunders; schoolmaster Thomas Humphreys; matron Mrs Saunders; Bandmaster A.T. Byford.

1884 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Henry Hartland; schoolmaster Mr J Humphreys; assistant schoolmaster Mr Brown.

1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Henry Hartland; schoolmaster Mr T Humphreys; assistant schoolmaster Mr F Wilkins.

1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Henry Hartland; schoolmaster Mr T Humphreys; assistant schoolmaster Mr F Wilkins.

1894 - Governor Henry Hartland; matron Mrs Hartland; schoolmaster Thomas Humphreys.

1900 - Governor Henry Hartland; matron Mrs Hartland.