HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

Certified 21st November 1868 for 70 boys.  Re-certified 9th October 1900 for 95 boys.  Became Purbrook Approved School from 1933 for junior boys.

The school is situated in the district of Portsdown and maintained from a Government grant and from grants from the different education authorities, is for destitute boys from London, Hants, Sussex, Surrey and Wilts who have been exposed to vicious influences. 

Instructions are given in tailoring, shoemaking, baking, farm and garden work, gymnastics, swimming and instrumental military music.

Semi-institutional purpose-built building about 2 & 1/2 miles from Cosham.

LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL INSPECTORS REPORT DATED 23rd July 1906

School is licensed for 95 children, the number of children in school was 87 - 13 were London children.  12 of the 87 children were whole-timers, of which 3 were London children.

STAFF

1869 - Mr Deverell

1872 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Jerram

1884 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs A Fielder; schoolmaster Mr Chaffey

1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs A Fielder; schoolmaster Mr Chaffey

1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs A Fielder; schoolmaster Mr Chaffey; tailor Mr Yarker; shoemaker Mr Hunt; labour-master Mr Brown

1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs A Fielder; schoolmaster Mr Kitching; schoolmistress Mrs Kitching; assistant matron Miss Fielder; gardener Mr H.S. Fielder; William Bailey was appointed shoemaker in place of Reuben White in March 1900

1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs A Fielder; schoolmaster Mr T.W. Kitching; schoolmistress Mrs Kitching; 2nd assistant schoolmaster Mr Bertram Wade was added to the staff 1st January 1903

1906 - Superintendent Mr T.W. Kitching; matron Mrs Kitching; head schoolmaster Mr E.W. Shaw; assistant schoolmaster Mr B Wade; assistant matron Miss Neal

1911 - Superintendent J. Kitching; matron Mrs Kitching; corresponding manageress Miss Daverell, of Purbrook Grange.