Certified 6th June 1879 for 140 girls. Re-certified in 1924/1925? for 120 girls. It would also take in small boys.
From 1933 it became an Approved School for 120 children.
Ceased to operate as a home in 1984/1985. Also had Auxiliary Home until 1922 when it closed or the cessation of the certificate.
Cottage homes plus a central premises
Material available in North Shields Archives.
1884 - Matrons of houses, Mrs Craig, Mrs Groom, Mrs Scott, Miss Stewart, Miss Taylor, Miss Scott, Mrs Gow, schoolmistress, Miss Ingram, succeeded by Miss Wright; assistant schoolmistress Miss Davidson. The inspector commented that " Five girls emigrated to Canada in the year, and were judiciously placed out in situations."
1891 - Superintendent Mrs Craig; schoolmistresses, Miss Tomlinson and Miss Craig.
1893 - Superintendent Mrs Craig; schoolmistress, Miss Vernon; certified assistant, Miss Turner.
1900 - Superintendent Mrs Bell; Miss Mortimer, head schoolmistress died 10th June 1899, succeeded by Miss B. Ferguson 7th August 1899; assistant teacher Miss Cooper; Miss Taylor; nurse Mrs Pringle.
1903 - Superintendent Mrs Bell; schoolmistress Miss C.T. Ross; assistant teacher Miss M Cooper.