Founded in 1853? and certified 5th November 1854.
Inaugurated by R.B. Sanderson and Hans Hamilton. Certified at new site 5th June 1857 for 100 boys. Removed to Netherton in 1859 and certified in 1860. Re-certified June 1891 for 210 boys and temporarily re-certified in July 1917 for 220 boys. Was again re-certified in 1924 for 150 boys. Became the NETHERTON TRAINING APPROVED SCHOOL from 1933 and closed in the late 1970s.
The buildings was also used as an equestrian centre and later, in 1982 an assessment centre.
Captain O'Brian was connected with the foundation of the school.
The Newcastle premises comprised of a block of poor cottages. The new premises were large and well built divided into four wards.
1866 - Mr Anderson; assistant masters Mr Bell and Mrs Davison.
1867 - Superintendent Mr Anderson; masters of the senior and junior division, Mr Bell and Mr Davison.
1868 - Staff Mr Anderson, Mr Bell and Mr Davison.
1869 - Superintendent Mr Anderson; Mr Bell and Mr Middlemas.
1872 - General superintendent Mr W.C. Anderson; Masters Mr Middlemas, Mr Ross and Mr Donelly.
1884 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs. George Middlemiss; deputy superintendent, Mr W. Elvish; divisional masters Mr Howie and Mr Clarkson.
1891 - Superintendent Mr Middlemiss; matron Mrs Middlemiss; schoolmasters, Messrs. Elvish, Howie, Simpson and Kelly.
1893 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Geo. Middlemiss; schoolmasters Messrs. Elvish, Howie, Simpson and Cremer.
1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs T.W. Wallace; deputy superintendent and divisional master Mr W. Elvish; divisional masters Messrs. J. Howie, William Simpson and P Byrne; assistant master, Mr F.G. Simpson; clerk Mr G. Wallace; bandmaster, Mr Ure; drill-instructor, Col-Sergt. Powell.
1903 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs T.W. Wallace, deputy superintendent Mr W. Elvish; divisional masters Messrs. J Howie, W Simpson and G. Lorrimer; assistant master Mr J.G. Simpson; clerk Mr G. Wallace; bandmaster, Mr W. Ure.