HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

a.k.a

Certified 29th May 1877 for 250 boys.  Had a tender "GOSHAWK", which was certified 12th August 1899.  Cessation of certification or closure in June 1920.

It had been the H.M.S. 'WINCHESTER' with 50 guns and 2,300 tons.

STAFF

1884 - Superintendent, Captain H.P. Knyvett, R.N.; chief officer Mr S. Portbury; schoolmasters Mr Tauranac (new) and Mr J.S. Gitsham.

1891 - Superintendent, Captain Knyvett, R.N.; chief officer Mr Portbury; schoolmasters Mr Andrews and Mr Gitsham.

1893 - Superintendent, Captain Knyvett, R.N.; chief officer Mr Portbury; schoolmasters Mr Andrews and Mr Gitsham.

1900 - Captain - superintendent, Captain J.G. Bickford, F.R.G.S; chief officer Mr W. Kitt, late 1st Cl. P.O., R.N; head schoolmasters Mr Daniel C Henderson appointed 1st January 1900 and Mr Norman Bucknell appointed 1st April 1900.  They succeeded Mr Sier (assistant from 24th June 1899 to 28th October 1899) and Mr Gitsham, who retired on annuity 31st March 1900.  Mr Farlow, gunnery instructor died 31st October and was succeeded by Mr Thos. Nichols on 18th December.

1903 - Captain - superintendent, Captain J.G. Bickford, F.R.G.S; Chaplain Rev. H. Holderness; chief officer Mr W. Kitt; schoolmasters Messrs. C Henderson and C.H. Hudson.