HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

Established in 1874 by a committee of gentleman called together by Arthur G. Levason Esq. of Hereford, who was chairman and Mr Peyton G. Levason, joint Hon. Sec., the work was commenced in a small house in Commercial Road, open by Lord Bishop of the diocese on 29th April 1874, the present building in Bath St., holding 125 was in (1913) full and maintained a full average yearly number.  The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Atay, 14th June 1876 and the premises were opened and certified 1st February, 1877 for 90 boys.  A wing consisting of infirmary, workshops and school room; was added, the foundation stone being laid by Mrs A.G. Levason, 8th August 1886; there was an assembly room called the "Meadows" Memorial, Mrs Meadows of Aylestone Hill, having presented the sum of 1,000 to the home in 1895.  The objects of the institution are to receive orphans and other voluntary cases of boys from 9 to 14 years of age in a state of destitution, or growing up uncared for, under evil influences.  They are clothed, fed, taught and employment is afterwards found for them.  The boys, when not engaged in other duties are employed in farming, gardening, shoe making, cutting firewood, basket making and cane working.  Re-certified in 1896 for 115 boys and in 1904 for for 125 boys.  Closed in May 1933.

STAFF

1879 - Mr & Mrs Keys appointed

1884 - Superintendent Mr Edwin Horth; matron Mrs Edwin Horth; schoolmaster Mr Burn

1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Edwin Horth; schoolmaster Mr Burn

1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Edwin Horth; schoolmaster Mr Burn; assistant Mr Waldron

1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Edwin Horth; head teacher Mr Banister succeeded on 1st January 1900 Mr Green who left in August 1899; assistant teacher Mr W. Smith from November 1899; assistant matron Miss Ross

1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Edwin Horth; schoolmaster Mr W.H. Banister; Mr W.J. Barsley has been appointed deputy superintendent and clerk.  Mr Pollard succeeded him as assistant teacher 1st December 1902

1913 - Superintendent Mr Edwin Horth; matron Mrs Horth