HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

Certified 18th December 1861 for 90 boys, re-certified 29th November 1890 for 100 boys. 

Towards the end of year the Managers, after mature and earnest consideration resolved to resign the certificate for the "Havannah" and to join forces with the "Formidable".  The bulk of the boys will accordingly be transferred to the latter early in 1904.

To call the institution a school ship is to give an erroneous impression of it.  The is nothing nautical about it except that the boys are lodged in a hulk instead of an ordinary house, that they have a boat in which to practise rowing, and that the assistant who helps look after them was a boatswain and has several of a sailor's habits. (Inspector commented in 1869)

An old grounded hulk.  'Can hardly be called a training ship' (Inspector commented in 1880)

STAFF

1866 - Master Mr Young (formerly at Kingswood)

1867 - Master Mr Chevins and wife.

1868 - Superintendent Mr Young and his wife, and the "boatswain", as industrial and general assistant Mr Jane.

1872 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Coleman; assistant Mr Harding.

1884 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Coleman; schoolmaster Mr Harding; boatswain Mr Ward.

1891 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Jas. Coleman;  schoolmaster Mr Davies; boatswain Mr Saunders.

1893 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Jas. Coleman;  schoolmaster Mr David; boatswain Mr Willis.

1895 - Superintendent James Colman; schoolmaster W. David; Boatswain J. Coventry; Hon. Sec. Jonas Watson.

1900 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Jas. Coleman; assistant superintendent and schoolmaster Mr G.E. Colman; Mr G.F. Bare, assistant teacher , left 10th August 1899 and was succeeded 8th January 1900 by Mr Montague Manley; from 14th October to 23rd December Mr G.A. Bees filled the place temporarily.

1903 - Superintendent and matron, Mr & Mrs Jas. Coleman; assistant superintendent and schoolmaster Mr G.E. Colman; assistant teacher Mr A Brown.