HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

 

Certified 29th November 1855 for 90 boys.  Founder Mr. H.C. Compton, who died in 1866.  Closed in 1908

The Farmhouse which formed the older portion of the school building was destroyed by fire, originating in a chimney on 11th October 1867.  The schoolroom and the dormitory, lavatory and workshops on the other side of the yard were only saved by the courage and exertions of the superintendent and the boys.  The boys were partly lodged in the schoolroom, which had been fitted up with hammocks.

STAFF

1866 - Superintendent and wife Mr & Mrs Harold; schoolmaster Mr Oakshead

1867 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Harold; schoolmaster Mr Oakford

1868 - Superintendent Mr Harold; schoolmaster Mr Okeford

1869 - Superintendent Mr Harold; schoolmaster Mr Oakford

1872 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Harold; schoolmaster Mr Oakford; Mrs Harold sees to the tailoring and Mr Oakford to the carpentering

1884 - Superintendent Mr Harold; schoolmaster and assistant Mr Oaksford; general assistant Mr F Harold; manager of the interior Miss Harold

1891 - Superintendent Mr W.F. Harold; matron Miss A.S. Harold; schoolmaster Mr Stewart

1893 - Superintendent Mr W.F. Harold; matron Miss A.S. Harold; schoolmaster Mr Ransom

1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs W.F. Harold; schoolmaster Mr J. Frost succeeded Mr Sharpe 18th October 1899

1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs F. Harold; schoolmaster Mr J Frost; labour-master, drill and gymnastic instructor Sergeant S. Mays