Certified as a branch of the ship "WELLESLEY" on the 19th December 1884 for 60 boys, and were taken by the managers as a receiving house for boys under 12 years of age. On the attainment of 12 years of age it is proposed to draft the boys into the "Wellesley" for practical training in seamanship.
A private house, donated by the Rev. Robt. Green.
Cessation of certification or closure between 1924 and 1930
1891 - Superintendent Mr T.K. Pringle; matron Mrs Pringle; schoolmaster Mr Purvis.
1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Pringle; schoolmaster Mr Brearey; tailor Mr Dixon.
1900 - Deputy superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Shearlaw; schoolmaster Mr A Evans.
1903 - Deputy superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Shearlaw; schoolmaster Mr A.W. Evans left 22nd March 1902, he was succeeded on 29th April 1902 by Mr T. Clegg, who left on 30th September 1902. Mr W. Murray was appointed on 1st October 1902.
1914 - Secretary Jas. Stewart; Superintendent Capt. Percy De Winton Kitcat R.N; Deputy Supt. William B.S. Jones; Mrs Annie E Jones Matron.