HOME PAGE

MISCELLANEOUS

 

The following information is by kind permission of the Sydenham Society

 

http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/Boys%20Industrial%20Home.html

Early in 2000 Shaftesbury House, 67 Perry Rise was demolished. This building was the "Forest Hill Boys' Industrial Home"

The original Boys' Industrial Home was opened at 17 Rojack Road on 3 May 1873 "for the reception and industrial training of destitute boys". There were just six boys in the home in 1873. By 1875 the home included 16 Rojack Road (both these houses still survive), and the number of boys had increased to nine.

http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/louise_house_winter_2008.html

Originally opened in Rojack Road on 20 July 1881.  In 1891 Louise House, Dartmouth Road had been completed, also to the designs of Thomas Aldwinckle. The Girls' Industrial Home gave girls the skills needed to become domestic servants.