Founded 1840 in London. Moved to Redhill in 1849.
Certified 2nd September 1856 for 300 children. Re-certified in 1923 for 150 children as a Reformatory School. From 1933 it became an Approved School for 130 children.
The school was made up of 5 houses (GARSTON, GLADSTONE, GURNEY, WATERLAND QUEEN'S) a farmhouse, cottages and chapel. Name sometimes written as Red Hill or Redstone Hill.
Listed under Reformatory School heading.
1884 - Resident chaplain and superintendent, Rev. Arthur G. Jackson; secretary Mr John Trevarthen; masters of houses Messrs, Howe, Cowen, Hearne, Benfield and Hodges; clerk and bandmaster, Mr Mallinder; matron Mrs Bilcliffe.
1891 - Chaplain, The Rev. M.G. Vine; secretary, Mr Trevarthen; masters of houses Messrs Howe, Cowen, Hearne, Jones and Walker; matron Miss Bilcliffe.
1893 - Superintendent and Warden, Rev. M.G. Vine; secretary Mr John Trevarthen; masters of houses, Messrs. Howe, Cowen, Hearne, Jones and McColl; bailiff Mr W. Browne. The inspector commented that "The number of inmates on the day of inspection (7th & 8th November 1893), were 280 boys. During the year there had been 66 admissions and 84 boys have gone out. 18 boys have emigrated to the North-Western Territory and 1 to West Australia".
1900 - Warden, The Rev. M.G. Vine; secretary John Trevarthen Esq. House and schoolmasters:- Messrs. Cowen, Hearne and Brooker. Mr Goode, formerly of Waterlands has succeeded Mr McColl at Garston's and has himself been succeeded by Mr Ottaway. Mr Walter Trevarthen has been appointed assistant secretary, in place of Mr Stannard, who died in December 1899. Master in training Mr W. Pollard; bailiff Mr W. Brown; bandmaster Mr Mallinder. Mr Norman, the gymnastic instructor, has been absent throughout the year in South Africa, and his place has been meantime filled by Corporal Picken from the Guards Depot at Caterham. In each house the wife, sister or daughter of the housemaster acts as matron.
1903 - Warden, The Rev. M.G. Vine; secretary John Trevarthen Esq. House and schoolmasters, Messrs. Brooker, Ottaway, Bishop and J.H. Jones. At Garston's House Mr & Mrs Goode were succeeded in November by Mr & Mrs McGowan. Assistant secretary, Mr W. Trevarthen. In each house the wife, sister or daughter of the housemaster acts as matron.