Return to page 1

SARAH TURNER – This is another case of an alleged death of a pupil teacher from over study.  A letter was received by the Department from a Mr. Lister, stating that Sarah Turner, a friend of his, aged 18, was dying of brain fever caused by over study.  An inquiry was at once instituted by Her Majesty’s Inspector for the district, and the facts carefully investigated by the Department.  It appears that in March 1881 the girl was appointed a monitor in Steelhouse Lane school, Wolverhampton, with the view of her becoming a pupil teacher.  The log book of the school shows that during the year she was frequently absent from ill-health.  She was however, presented as a candidate at the inspection in November, and duly passed the examination for a pupil teachership.  On this occasion, as required by the Code, she received from her regular medical attendant a certificate to the effect that she had been examined by him and was in good health.  As she was not required to complete the school staff, her indentures were not signed, but she continued to serve in the school as a monitor until November 1882, during which period she appears to have been in better health, only one absence from illness being recorded in the log book.  In November 1882 she was again presented as a candidate (though taking the papers for the end of the first year) and again received a favourable medical certificate.  She passed successfully, and was admitted by the Department for an engagement of three years.  From November 1882 to February 1883 her absence from illness again became frequent.  On February 11th she was transferred to St. Giles’s school, Willenhall, but her engagement there was never completed, and on 27th April she was engaged at Wolverhampton, St. James’ National School.  At this school in November 1883 she passed with great credit the examination for the end of the second year, as required by the Code, obtained another favourable medical certificate; thus (in consequence of her twice being presented as a candidate) obtaining three favourable certificates in as many years.  In the latter part of 1883 she was again repeatedly absent from ill-health, became dangerously ill at the end of January 1884, and died on the 29th February.  The medical man who attended her (the same one who on three previous occasions had certified to her good health) stated that she died of tubercular meningitis, caused by too much brain work; that he had regularly attended her family for four years; that Sarah Turner had from time to time suffered from excessive weakness and lung disease; and that he had repeatedly warned her against over-exertion.  He added that the family were predisposed to consumption, another sister having died in 1881 of the complaint.  Another medical man corroborated the above, both as the cause of death and her unhealthy condition.  It is to manifest that she was physically unfitted for the profession she adopted, to which she would not have been admitted but for the misleading medical certificates above referred to.