Certified 28th March 1873 when at 43 Leman Street, Whitechapel . Re-certified 28th October 1884 for 120 boys, which was later extended to 150 boys at the new premises in Lewisham. Closed 1909.
There may have been two schools in Whitechapel with similar names.
The following information is courtesy of the Lewisham Local Studies website at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk
The school had entrances in both Porson Street and Brookbank Road, but Porson Street no longer exists. The school building was being used as a warehouse when it was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. The site, between Brookbank Road, Algernon Road, Ellerdale Street, and the railway line, is now occupied by Viney Road.
1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs J Cartwright; schoolmaster Mr F. Cousens; assistant schoolmasters Messrs. Gleave and F. Klein. General remarks "each boy had a week's change at the seaside during the summer".
1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs J Cartwright; chief schoolmaster Mr. F Cousens; assistant schoolmaster Mr J.W. Knight and Mr Jos. Klein
1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs J Cartwright; head schoolmaster Mr F.W. Green. Assistant schoolmaster Mr Wm. Blea left 1st April 1900 and will be succeeded in July by Mr Robert Barlow; second assistant schoolmaster Mr J.D. Herbert. Mr T.J. Osmond has attended weekly for manual instruction since 7th October 1899.
1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs J Cartwright; schoolmaster Mr F.W. Green. Assistant schoolmaster Mr R. Barlow left 30th June 1902 succeeded by Mr H. Cash 23rd July 1902. Mr J.D. Herbert left 31st December 1902, succeeded by Mr A.E. Benney on 1st January 1903