Certified 3rd August 1864 and run by the Liverpool Catholic Reformatory Association.
It was an 84 gun line-of-battle ship, 2,279 tons and launched in 1827. On the 17th January 1884 the ship was totally burnt out by an arson attack of 6 boys, fortunately no lives were lost. The boys were temporarily housed at Port Sanitary Hospital, Off New Ferry, Birkenhead, until 19th July 1884, when owing to the outbreak of cholera in the river the use of the hospital was required by the sanitary authorities. The boys were then transferred to the premises formerly occupied as a Reformatory School at Agricultural Colony of Mount St Bernard Abbey Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys, Whitwick, Nr Coalville, Leicestershire, and there the school was carried on until the end of year 1884-1885.
The vessel was replaced by the Royal William, and certified 18th November, 1885 for 300 boys, this ship suffered a mutiny in 1886 and was burnt out 26th July 1889, again no lives were lost, also a visiting Bishop was on board when it went up in flames. An official enquiry was held in August 1899 and tended to show that (1) the ship was wilfully fired (2) discipline on board was good (3) there were no feelings of discontent. Several months later the crime was brought home to 3 boys, who pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 12 months hard labour on 4th May 1900.
PREMISES NO. 111 and 113 SHAW STREET, LIVERPOOL certified 26th July 1899 for 266 boys as the temporary home for the CLARENCE REFORMATORY SHIP SCHOOL when it burnt out.
After a short stay at Rock Ferry the boys were housed at ST DAVID'S COLLEGE, MOLD, FLINT (CLWYD), re-named St. David's COLLEGE Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys and certified 9th August 1899. The premises consisted of the old county prison, the severer features of which were softened during the tenancy by the Jesuits. The prison yard was converted into a beautiful garden, with rows of trees set formally, and the walls inside were covered with creepers and climbing flower-plants.
During the stay in their first refuge at Shaw Street, the boys behaved well and the transfer to St David's College was effected without difficulty in August 1899. Anxiety to get back to Liverpool and the restlessness inseparable from a pic-nic existence, led to trouble, culminating in some lawlessness, mainly on the part of 1 or 2 desperate characters, and the absconding of some 35 on Christmas Day. The outbreak was quelled by the prosecution of several and the arming of the handful of officers.
The Kirkedge Roman Catholic Reformatory School for Boys, Nr. Sheffield, Certified 3rd September 1901 and closed 10th November 1905, took over until the boys went to the Farnworth Nautical School, Nr. Widnes which was certified in 1905 for 125 boys. it became Farnworth St Aidens Approved School from 1933 and closed in 1981.
Auxiliary Home with Birkdale Farm School. Cessation of certification or closure April, 1923.
1866 - Captain Algar ; school instruction Mr McGovern.
1867 - Captain Algar R.N.
1868 - Captain Algar R.N., school instruction 2 Christian Brothers.
1869 - Captain Algar R.N.
1872 - Captain-superintendent Algar R.N.
1884 - Superintendent, Captain John Hudson ; chief officer Mr John Lawless ; head schoolmaster Mr F.J. Potter ; assistant schoolmaster Mr J. Carrigan, who assists as bandmaster.
1891 - Captain Superintendent, Captain Edward P. Statham R.N. ; chief officer, Mr J. Thompson ; schoolmaster, Mr J. Kearney ; assistant schoolmaster Mr P. Fitzpatrick ; chaplain Rev. M. Clarke.
1895 - Captain Superintendent, Captain E. P. Statham R.N. ; chief officer, Mr John Thompson ; schoolmaster, Mr John Kearney ; assistant schoolmaster Mr M. Murphy ; chaplain Rev. M. Clarke.
1900 - The Captain Superintendent Commander G.H. Young R.N. ; chief officer Mr Leahy ; head schoolmaster Mr Kearney ; assistants Messrs J. Doyle and J. O'Donohoe ; chaplain Rev. P. Donnelly.
1903 - Superintendent Mr Denis Murphy ; Chaplain Rev. George Walmsley ; schoolmaster Mr J Kearney would be leaving to take up the position of superintendent of Parkhead ; assistant schoolmaster Mr Thomas Doyle ; seamanship instructor Mr Laurence McCarthy.