Certified 19th May 1887 for 30 girls, run by the Waifs and Strays' Society. Cessation of certification or closure 13th May 1920. The girls were accommodated in a stone villa.
Prior to the school being certified it may have been the
The school was near to, and within the same grounds as the Leeds workhouse, was erected by the Leeds Board of Guardians in 1846-1848, at a cost of £14,000, and is a structure of brick with stone facings, in the Tudor style, consisting of a principal block with double gabled centre, flanked by octagonal pinnacled stone turrets and gabled wings with similar flanking turrets, the space enclosed by which is divided midway by another block running parallel to the wings, the whole forming a the shape of the letter E and enclosing two open courts; the principal front has three large oriel windows, and each wing displays a tall bay window rising to the roof; the northern side of the building is appropriated to the girls, and the southern to the boys; the central arm dividing the two playgrounds, adjoining which are covered colonnades for use in wet weather; the front portion comprises a board-room, master and matron's apartments, entrance hall and principal staircase; the wings contain day and school rooms, and infants' school room, day room and dormitories; there are besides eight other dormitories 50 ft x 25ft and 14ft high, and a dining hall 45ft x 30ft. The inmates are generally orphan and deserted children, but there are also a few who are children of deserving resident poor; a few of the older boys are taught various handicrafts, and the girls are instructed in domestic duties. The institution is exclusively controlled by the guardians, and is under the management of a master and matron. The premises, partially destroyed by fire in March 1856, will accommodate 600 children, who are now taught in the Beckett Street Board school and at the Catholic School.
LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL INSPECTION REPORT DATED 20th July 1906
School licensed for 30; number of children in the school, 29; of which there were17 London children; whole-timers in school 20 of which 11 of those were London children.
Lady Superintendent Miss L. Verrall
Schoolmistress Miss Lenton
The girls are trained for domestic service - laundry, cookery, housework and sewing. The girls readily obtain places. Superintendent keeps in touch with girls who have left.
1891 - Superintendent, Miss Barter; schoolmistress Miss Prince. Miss Stansfeld, who lives near the school, exercises general supervision.
1893 - Superintendent, Miss Parry; teacher Miss Appleyard.
1900 - Lady superintendent Miss Parry; teacher Miss Brown.
1903 - Lady superintendent Miss Verrall. Miss N. Courier succeeded as schoolmistress on 4th January 1903, Miss M. Vickery who left on 31st December 1902