The school was erected by the late Robert Barnes Esq., in 1871 for the education and training of neglected and destitute children under the provisions of the industrial schools act of 1866. The school is managed by a committee of 17 persons. There are also 10 trustees of the charity.
Originally intended as a mixed school, it soon became a boys only school after it was certified 14th June,1871 for the reception of 275 boys.
An institutional building of superior architecture. It became BARNES HOME APPROVED SCHOOL from 1933 for the reception of 200 boys.
Auxiliary Home for 32 children in Ardwick Green which was taken over from another industrial school.
1872 - Mr & Mrs Donald Ross; schoolmaster Mr Claye.
1884 - Superintendent, Mr Donald Ross; chief schoolmaster Mr E. F. Halle.
1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Donald Ross; school teachers Messrs. Powell, Bradshaw, Allison and Smith
1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Donald Ross; chief teacher Mr Powell; assistant teachers Messrs. J. K Thompson, M. Bradshaw and Smith
1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Donald Ross; schoolmaster Mr W.M. Powell; assistant schoolmasters Messrs. F.G. Bradshaw and J. Williams; Miss A.E. Ross assistant teacher left 28th February 1899 and was succeeded by Miss Jane W. Ross on 1st September 1899. Mr Leary, the drill-instructor, had to join his regiment in December; clerk Mr S. Howard; assistant matron Miss M.L Ross.
1903 - Governor and matron Mr & Mrs Donald Ross; schoolmaster Mr W.M. Powell; Miss F. M. Ross, Mr Barlow and Mr Mayall have succeeded Miss J.W. Ross, Mr Milburn and Mr G. S. F. Kemp as assistant teachers. Mr J. Leary has returned to his duties as drillmaster, from the front.
1909 - Governor, B.C. Housden; Corresponding Manager/Sec, J.R. Burns