In the disposal of children to earn their own living, the managers found it advisable, if not necessary, to provide a half-way house between the secluded life of the school and the rough and tumble of the outside world - a home with more liberty than a school can allow, but at the same time affording some protection to the child until he should be able to fend for himself, and, more especially while his wages were low, providing him with the necessaries of life under more favourable conditions than would be possible with his friends and relations. These homes are certified as an integral part of the school, and in come cases as a part of several schools. The former have been the more uniformly successful, and the two in Liverpool (Grafton Street and Everton Terrace), the one in Ardwick Green Manchester, besides similar Homes in Glasgow and Dundee have admirably fulfilled their purpose. The existence of such Homes enables the Managers to exercise their powers under the Amendment Act of 1894 more freely than would otherwise be the case in providing a place to which a boy can be recalled with less damager or inconvenience than to the school itself. In this connection similar Homes should be particularly useful for girls when out of a situation, whether through their own fault or otherwise. The Managers of the Perth Girls' Industrial School have started such a Home, and the five Homes belonging to the Metropolitan Association for Befriending Young Servants (M.A.B.Y.S.) which have been certified have proved of great assistance to several of the Girls at Industrial Schools in and near London.
The opening of an Auxiliary Home is always a sure sign of a determination on the part of a school to advance and improve. Of the four Homes certified in 1906, on is in connection with the St. Nicholas School, Ilford, which has made prodigious strides during the last two years, another is in Sunderland, and two (Grays Shipping Home and the South Wales Home at Llandilo) are for the use of the London County Council's Schools. A the end of 1906 there were 30 Homes (24 for boys and 6 for girls) holding the Secretary of State's certificate.