HOME PAGE

SCHOOL INDEX

Originally  a mixed school, in 1899 became a boys only school. 

Certified 14th February 1866 for 150 boys temporarily located at Hamilton Street.  The school then relocated to new purpose-built premises in Corporation Street.  Re-certified in 1st March1899 for 120 boys only.  Cessation of certification or closure April 1924.

1867 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby & Mrs Fanny Bielby.

1868 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby  & Mrs Fanny Bielby; schoolmaster Mr Horton.

1872 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby  & Mrs Fanny Bielby

1884 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby & Mrs Fanny Bielby; schoolmaster Mr John T Brown; schoolmistress Miss Gatt.

1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby & Mrs Fanny Bielby; schoolmaster for boys Mr. Blakeboro; school teacher for the girls recently appointed Miss Cole.

1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr Monkman Bielby (died in 1895) & Mrs Fanny Bielby; schoolmaster for boys Mr. Blakeboro; schoolmistress for the girls, Miss Harrison.

1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs T. Paterson, succeeded Mr & Mrs Blakeboro on 7th July 1899.  Schoolmaster Mr. David Lockhead.  Mr. Wm. Ryding was appointed assistant teacher 27th December 1899.

1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Paterson; schoolmaster Mr J.J. Cragg; assistant master Mr D.O. Jones left 17th January, 1903 and is succeeded on 9th February by Mr. M.B. Davies.

1914 - Superintendent  Thomas Paterson; matron Miss Daisy Paterson; School Master L William Meakin.

            Records available, Public Records Office, Kew - PRO ED49/767 1889-1928